Cross-language

Topics: Suggest a feature
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2014 at 3:14 AM
Currently, Mathos is "strictly" .NET and I think it would be nice if we could create bindings in other programming languages, at least the core library.
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2014 at 12:55 PM
This is definitely a good idea. I think one possibility would be to rewrite the core library from C# to C, or C++. As far as I know, it's not that difficult to use C++ libraries in for example Python. This will make the core library platform independent and independent from additional software such as .NET or Mono.

However, we could also convert it to say Java. Although Java runtime is needed, it seems that high level languages like Python already have APIs that would allow execution of Java APIs (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/476968/using-a-java-library-from-python).

It's hard to say which one of these solutions is best (i.e. converting to C++ or Java). Sticking with Java will make it easier since C# and Java are very similar (if not almost the same). But, doing it in C++ will make some operations faster.

Which one of these alternatives would be the best?
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM
I also feel like rewriting the core library in C++ would be more beneficial than Java in many ways, and I also know both languages so I'm fine with either language.
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM
It would be good if we could discuss this a bit further. I will send notification to everyone in @dev mainlining list to see if someone else would like to work on this.
Anytime on Tuesday next week, and Friday (after lunch) would work for me.

In terms of language choice, C++ would work for me, although since I am very used Java and C#, it might take a bit longer to get used to it.
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Tuesday will work for me
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Since we couldn't have the discussion, I got started on the c++ binding
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Edited Dec 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Great! Should we try to have another session this weekend. What about 3:00pm tomorrow using Stockholm time: http://localtimes.info/Europe/Sweden/Stockholm/
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM
That should work